Thursday, October 25, 2012

Barreling through another brick wall

Anyone with a disability or other types of challenges in life knows the brick wall theory. You have those days where everything that can be an issue is an issue. My days typically end up being a mixture of a brick wall and a sludge hammer.
For instance....as a person with cerebral palsy I extremely dislike the cold weather, makes my days more challenging as my muscles get tighter and more uncooperative. This cold weather (even though to some is not that cold) is painstaking to me. Your fighting muscles that already didn't work or want to work in the first place.
Think of it like what happens to rubber when it freezes-come on Hollywood gave you the ultimate cliff note! Fantastic four the silver surfer.
Well needless to say when rubber freezes it gets stiff.
So in fighting the not so cold...cold today I was actually in time for my 8 am class! My classmates probably think I was out the night before, when really its just a typical fall morning for me and I fought the temperature difference between my warm electric blanket and the cold air in my apartment. It takes me longer to get ready when it's cold.
Another brick wall for a Thursday is riding my horse. I love my horse, however my hips do not. It is common for people with CP to develop hip dysplasia in one or both hips. Unfortunately I am too young to have a full replacement, so I fight the pain weekly to do something I love.
Think about the things you pass up on a daily basis just because it's too difficult. ? I say we should face that brick wall with a sludge hammer and fight! (hypothetically)
Always fight those battles because my dad always said what doesn't kill
You makes you stronger. It helps me to think of those people out there that may have it worse than I do. Always remember for as bad as you think you have it someone always has it worse. I have fought to achieve so many things in my life, and for the most part was simply to spite those who said I wasn't able to. So in closing, find that motivation whatever it may be. And harness it. Willpower can get anyone through any obstacle, you just have to fight the good fight. I do know everyone has bad days so please don't think my life is full of sunshine and rainbows , I have bad days with the rest of them but it is how you choose to handle that bad day that makes the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment